This is a simple 2-step process.
First you will "Register" for your exam using the button below. Secondly, return here to process your exam fee payment.
After registering, you will receive an email with instructions, watch for it! Please check your SPAM folder for possible misdirected mail about your test session.
Important: For test session information, testing requirements, and payment infomation please see detailed directions below. Payment must be received WITH your registration. If not, your registration will be cancelled.
You will receive an email with Zoom meeting information about an hour before your exam start time.
Exam fee is $14. Please follow the link below to submit your exam fee. Please clearly indicate in the notes field who the payment is for.
Detailed Exam Instructions
KT4RSQ Amateur Radio Testing
Steven (KT4RSQ) and the Tennessee Amateur Radio Testing Team administer completely online video-supervised testing in a friendly positive environment. Our process employs rules for maintaining integrity of the testing environment. Following these instructions closely will ensure that your test will be efficient and successful.
Hamstudy.org will give you a current list of sessions. Look for a testing session with seating still available.
Plan on about 25 minutes for your exam session. In fact, well prepared applicans can be in and out in 12-15 minutes while, some sessions take longer if technology issues arise.
If applicant is under the age of 13, additional documentation is required. Please download and complete this COPPA FORM, and email it to email@example.com. Please COPY the same email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is for compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
To request special exam session dates or specific accommodations for your exam, please email email@example.com
Prepare the following before your online exam session:
- Exam Fee Payment: Use the payment links below to submit your $14 exam fee. **Payment must be received WITH your registration.
***Without your payment, registration and test position is subject to cancellation ***
Approximately 30-60 minutes before your exam, you will receive an email with Zoom meeting information to join your exam session.
A “NO-SHOW” for your exam results in forfeiture of your exam fee.
PHOTO ID: Your photo ID must be shown on camera to your VE Team. For online sessions, we accept a driver’s license, passport, Student ID or other government issued ID.
Under-18 students may show either of the above items, or display a school ID or report card and a legal guardian presents a photo ID.
Federal Registration Number (FRN): This must be submitted on the exam application. Current license holder have an FRN, New applicants were assigned an FRN when you registered for this examination at Hamstudy.org/sessions/KT4RSQ.
Exam Application: A NCVEC 605 application is generated when registering for an exam,. Once exam is successful, you will view and sign this document electronically.
Your name on the exam registration must match the name on your FCC license or FRN if applying for a new license. Name changes requires your separate documentation to be submitted to the FCC.
Prepare your computer and cell phone camera: Your test team will ensure the integrity of the testing system. Be sure your computer and phone can handle the following.
Android devices such as Chromebooks are allowed, with the following provision. A second device such as a tablet or cellphone with zoom application/video that you can also connect to the meeting.
You must have a computer with a webcam and microphone,and speakers or an additional device or cell phone available. MacOS requires that you unlock security and privacy setting allowing Zoom to record” before your screen can be shared.
Your computer and phone must be connected with reliable service. Interrupted internet can void your exam session.
To expedite your session, you’re asked to download and test-run Zoom on computer and phone well in advance of your test session. You will receive your Zoom meeting invitation by email just prior to your exam. Watch for your email invitation minutes before your test!
No headsets / Earbuds / Headphones/ Smart Watches / Smart Eyewear / Physical Caculators are not allowed. OPTIONALLY, an on-screen caculator can by ustilized to perform calculations.
Terminate/Close non-esential applications. These include but re not limited to: Mail, chatting, alerts, Bluetooth devices, virtual screens, TeamViewer, Steam, Remote Desktops, VPNs, messaging, pop-up apps. Only a web browser, Zoom and calculator may be active. Your VE team may ask to view the “Show Hidden Icons” caret on your taskbar other running applications in your computer’s System Tray.
Verify your computer and phone are plugged in or fully charged.
No Virtual Backgrounds may be applied on your Zoom video feed.
You are allowed only one screen or monitor on the computer.
Remove/Cover/Unplug any additional monitors within your view, or take a single laptop into a different room. Interestingly, the bathroom is a preferred location for many applicants.**
You will be asked to sign exam documents electronically following your exam.
Exam session may be terminated for non-compliance to instructions.
Prepare your exam room: The VE Team must protect the integrity of the test environment. Be sure you can take the exam uninterrupted.
- No additional people in the exam room.
- Clear your room of all non-exam materials, notes, books, posters, computer screens, or items that might aid in testing.
- Clear your exam table and floor of ALL items within reach or view that would raise suspicion, such as papers, sticky notes, electronic items, headphones, or items unnecessary for your exam. Please remove any wearable technology, Google glasses, Smart Watches, etc.
- Politely inform other family members to not enter the room during your exam.
- Have a fully charged cell phone ready to link to the same Zoom meeting. This device might be used to scan your test environment at the request of your VE team. Following the 360 degree view, you might be asked to place the device nearby to observe the exam.
Practice for your exam: It is your responsibility to be fully prepared, as the time of three or more volunteers have been reserved for you. Use Hamstudy to study and take practice exams. Kindly make sure you are consistently scoring well above the passing grade before you schedule an exam. Some recommended sites:
HamStudy.org, is a free site with lots of tips. It has an inexpensive companion phone app you can use on the go.
Know the Rules for ONLINE Exams:
Test Sessions: If an exam element is failed and you wish to re-test, another $14 test fee will be asked of you. Typically you will reenter our queue in the Waiting Room and will retest once others have completed their exams. (TIP: Practice your material while waiting for your next attemnpt!)
Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE): When testing is complete, the exam elements you passed are indicated on a CSCE document that your VE team will email you immediately. Consider this your Diploma, or Receipt for your exam. Retain this document for your records.
Protocol for Online Exams:
- Test must be completed without any interruptions that would raise suspicion about the integrity of the your testing environment.
- You consent that your exam session will be recorded and stored for a period of time. Currently 15 months.
- You agree to keep attention on your computer screen at all times. Eyes may not wander to other parts of the room. You may not leave the view of your webcam during the exam session.
- You agree to use a single-screen computer or laptop. No other screens may to be attached or near your computer.
- You may not have visitors in the room. Applicants under the age of 13 may have a paent/Legal Gaurdian present
- If requested, you will use your cell phone camera connected to Zoom to scan the entire room and exam area to show that there are no materials or people that could aid in taking the exam.
- If requested you will place your cell phone so that it views a larger area around your test environment.
- You may load a calculator application on your device. Handheld calculators are not permissible.
- You may have a single blank scrap paper and pen. If paper is used, please display front and back to your test team at conclusion of exam.
- You must agree to share your entire screen with the VE team, not just the browser.
- If your VE team suspects a possibility of cheating, your exam will be terminated, your exam fee forfeited and your privilege’s of online testing will end system-wide.
Your VE Team will follow this procedure:
- Display your photo ID, to the camera so all examiners can verify your identity.
- Using your camera, slowly scan your room at eye level, including desktop surface.
- If requested, please leave your phone on and propped up at a distance so that it can view you and your computer.
- Please share via Zoom your full desktop, not just a browser window. Ensure no “Virtual Backgrounds” are applied.
- Open a browser window and if needed, position a calculator app next to it, demonstrating the calculator memory is clear.
- Only ONE tab may be open in your preferred web browser.
- Please join the test session with the call sign KT4RSQ and your 4 digit PIN. Your VE team will provide this to you.
- Answer questions by clicking on A/B/C/D and scrolling to next question. During your exam, you may review/skip/change your answers.
- When you finish, submit your exam for grading by pressing “Grade Exam”.
- Your exam is graded and your results displayed immediately. No provisions are available to discuss questions answered incorrectly.
- On passing grades, you will review 2 documents, the NCVEC 605 and CSCE. Your mouse or touchpad is used to sign documents.
- You are now free to Finish you session and log out, closing your browser.
- Your VE Team will sign your NCVEC 605 and CSCE to submit to W5YI. Exam documents are sent to the FCC on your behalf.
- Your CSCE will be immediately emailed to you. Retain this document for your records.
- Your VE team will explain how to use your new privileges, encouraging you to join a local radio club for further learning opportunities.
- Your examination is now complete. Congratulations and thank you for testing with the Tennessee Amateur Radio Testing Team! Remember to come back and test again for your next upgrade. We look forward to hearing you on the air soon!